Exercise is a funny thing. I mean funny peculiar, not funny ha ha. Although I have seen about 8 cases in my life of it being funny ha ha. But mostly it is peculiar. To some, exercise is a great release of stress and a passion. For some, it is the last thing on earth they would ever choose to do and they have it on their to-do list right above “Die.” Some people do it for the joy of it, but don’t need the fitness part so much. Some desperately need the fitness, but hate it. Some need it and like it. Some need it and hate it.
Wow. That was like a bad twirly ride that I couldn’t get off of.
At any rate, I am a person that mostly loves to exercise–under the right circumstances. For instance, I do NOT love running with a double jog stroller and the contents therein. I love running. Alone. With an iPod. But hand me a double jogger with 60 pounds of “can we go home now?” and all the joy is gone. I love biking. I even love biking with one child in a bike seat directly behind me. I do NOT love biking with a double bike trailer. See above reasons. Also there are traffic hazards wrapped up in this one. I do NOT love getting up at 5:30 a.m. for exercise of any type. I do not love exercising at 10 p.m. So when my planets do not align and I have children who need me, I have to do the exercise the non-ideal way.
Top Ten Ways to Make Exercise Fun if You Hate Exercising:
- Pump up the jam and dance. Dance, people. Dance. Dancing for 30 minutes burns approximately 200 calories. And if your “JAM” includes Justin Bieber and you invite your preschool wackadoodles into the dance party, you can also do some pretty worthwhile bonding.
- Make it a contest. Race somebody. Time yourself at something.
- Run around the house as you do your chores. Be BRISK.
- Vigorously reorganize your pantry. If it’s gonna burn any calories, you should move like a ninja. I have tried this one unsuccessfully. It was a fail for my fitness AND for the pantry.
- Scalp a trail around the perimeter of a 5 acre field and run it. Your neighbors will wonder what in the world you are doing and why you don’t have better things to do. Most of them will have embraced a non-fit lifestyle. Not that I know. Not that I can judge. Not that I am dying to know why Underwear Boy never puts on clothes.
- Play soccer with an 11 year old. Be prepared to suck wind. A lot.
- Walk the perimeter trail with a 5 year old. It should burn calories to mentally keep up with her conversation patterns. But it doesn’t.
I can’t come up with 3 more. I need help.
So, the redneck fitness thing is no joke. I have weight to lose. I have GOT to lose it. More on that in the next post…
6 thoughts on “Top Ten Exercises that could possibly be considered fun by those who hate to exercise…”
You are funny, HA HA and funny peculiar. I laughed out loud picturing these things. Eating less is also an option but not what I choose personally.
Does racing and timing how fast you can eat an ice cream cone count? That was the best race EVER!!
Yes! Let’s do a new food war! Too bad the camera wasn’t on me as Todd made spicy Thai sauce tonight. That was horrid…
there’s no substitute for eating less and exercising more! how’s that for wisdom?
One we use around here is flailing your arms and legs anytime you are outside because of the hordes of mosquitoes.
We haul heavy water hoses up inclines to trees and pigs located an inconvenient distance away. I like to think of myself as bad as any firefighter out there. Except I’m not. Just a dirty gal pulling a water hose through the sage brush having thoughts of greatness.